Tuesday, 21 November 2017

Daisy has sprung a leak!! :(

When I replaced Daisy's awning rail, I was pretty sure that I may get a leak. Due to a few screws being a little loose when replacing. I had used some sealant but after quite a few months and some crazy heavy rain she sprung a leak! 

Shes almost 50, she was rebuilt by me, so it wasn't a shock she got a little leak. 

Whats wonderful about old vans, is its all fixable. DON'T PANIC!

Poor girl had sat with a small leak for much longer than I would have liked, but at last I had some time to address it! 

When I replaced the awning rail, I used wood glue and matchsticks to fill the gap. So it was time to try something different on the few screws which where still loose. 

After a chat with my amazing Grandpa, I had a plan. 

The plan is to first unscrew the awning screws (once found which ones are loose) Then using the cooking injector squirt in the wet rot harder, leave for two hours to set. Then squirt in the PVA glue. Why my Grandpa said to use PVA not a harder more permanent glue, is the awning rail will need to come back off at some point in a few years to reseal. The last thing you would want to do is permanently set a few screws into the awning rail. 

It started out as a nice day, but when working outdoors in England it soon turned to wind and rain! 

We will see if this method fixes the leak! Fingers crossed and I will let you know if it works! 

Watch my funny windswept video of me trying to fix it! 

Products I used (Amazon affiliated links)

Captain Creeping Crack Cure - http://amzn.to/2B3tQKL

Ronseal Wood Harder - http://amzn.to/2hUrrhS

Kitchen Craft Injector - http://amzn.to/2je2cnc

PVA Bons - http://amzn.to/2B3gY7J

No comments:

Post a Comment